Translate

vendredi 23 octobre 2015

Epilogue for « My Charlie’s Days » project.


It is important when an initiative is taken to follow it completely before investing oneself in new projects.  So being very « proud » of me « Charlie’s Days » collection of photos I worked to promote them by professionals and the public.  I produced a flyer to look for an editor and present some photos from the Saturday’s  March to the public in my booth of the « Marché de la Création » of La Bastille in June and July. Of course, none of these initiatives were successful. 







Image taken in October 2015 from what was the Charlie's memorial site in Paris. It has become completely normal as if nothing had happened.

The number of the French editors interested in photography and this thematic is reduced and I do not belong to the circles that would help to find the best contacts. Secondly, I expected that the impact of the January events would produce a need to share and show the attachment to certain values.

 In fact, this was a wrong thinking the event being a national and dramatic event the French public will not support any commercial activity related to the event. It is a position that French consider as a question of principle, in reality they are completely upset with their money and want everything for free in such cases, when they look at the images on TV or in the press they forget that journalists, reporters and photographers are paid to produce them. 






 Only remaining memorial site from the Charlie's events remaining in October 2015 located Boulevard Richard Lenoir .

Why should an independent photographer be paid for his work, it is such a silly question? It is a French character to be completely unable to associate principles and reality, this contradictory position can be found in many fields. So for photos like mine, they expect them to be given for free to the Charlie Hebdo newspaper or any other non profitable initiative. Of course the payment for the printing of the photos is not to be taken into consideration, especially when the images are offered at a rate of 5 and 15 € each.

Much too expensive to support an artist and his action to support freedom. So to anyone who thought I might have earned any money with this work just make your calculation: I spend a lot of time to produce the project, I invested about 600€ to retouch some photos and 150€ for the printing. I sold one for 5 € to a Canadian woman, three photos for 45 € to a private Italian customer living in Paris.  Thank you for their support and no comment!

It  has been a new experience for a certain photographer by accident that  I know. For sure if I do not become a photographer, I already am a philosopher!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire