Translate

vendredi 23 octobre 2015

As we say: A bad news never comes alone….


After the previous project I remained no active regarding photography.  As I had participated in an exhibition in October last year,  I planned to reproduce the same initiative this year. 






 A relaxing French landscape along a lake.



That show was interesting  for me as it took place near the Invalides in a part of Paris where I am usually not represented.  Last year we were many amateurs and only few galleries participated in the event. It was organized by an independent photographer and consultant.
I eared that it would take place again in 2015, but it was difficult to subscribe to it. In fact everything had changed: the name of the event, the duration, the organization and the price. Mid July I finally managed to obtain the subscription form and send my participation fee. End August without no news, I sent two emails to confirm the acceptance of my participation.
As a reply I received a gentle text explaining that they had chosen a theme for this year (the body) and that after having looked at my work, they considered that it would be better for my health not to be accepted. My work was not in relation to the theme and of course I would have been very troubled among the other photographer, I even think there might have been a risk for a heart attack! So they would send me back my check.

Of course they never paid for the stamp..., and I still wait for the check.  For the information of the reader, there was nothing in July in the form stipulating the theme. When they received my appliance they did not bother to reply and specify that there were conditions to participate. The only possibilities to see my work are a personal meeting, the booth at La Bastille when I go there, some exhibitions and of course the present blog.

The fact that I might have photos beside related to the objective never occurred to them. The deciders are mature enough to have omniscience and answer any question with their own means without consulting the authors, I suppose. The new organization is a company specialized in communication, they are so good that on the Web the event was almost not promoted….




Another landscape from the same site.

This could just be a comical fact, but in reality it is dramatic because this event was affordable for photographers like me, and initiatives like these are counted on one hand and are disappearing in Paris. I exhibited some photos with the Cercle des Artistes de Paris in Vincennes in 2014 and 2015, but here they will also change in 2016 the system of renting the hall, it will be controlled by a private company.

As a result the present fee of about 200 € for four photos for me  will not be able to remain at this level and the owners of the event are not sure to be able to renew it in 2016. Another comparable event that takes place in Place Saint Sulpice in June is not sure to be renewed next year as the town hall has other projects. I also followed some exhibitions organized by Gallerie #1, and their prices were very correct, they to have increased their conditions and fees.



Photo taken by Karen from G#1 , Business Art Show 2014 Paris October.


 So the accumulation of the three following trends ( the negative evolution of the Parisian market, the behaviour of public authorities and certain associations and the means of the Parisian photographic galleries) will lead to the impossibility to exhibit in Paris at affordable prices. As an artist either you break the law and invade the street and other public spaces without authorization at your own risk or you enter an artist or photographic associations to multiply the possibilities to collaborate in collective or single exhibitions.


I am aged 55, have grey hair and some weight, so guess which choice I have done…. ?
I entered an association of artists, the A.A.B., Ateliers d’Artistes de Belleville (Belleville Artists’ Workshops association).  Is it an art or civilian choice?
My conviction is that if the art Parisian market  remains as it is today, art associations will sooner or later suffer from the same problem: a lack of means and many will cease their activity.

So finally our future, fantastic and business-organized society  will transform the status of the artist into the one of a potentially public outlaw, and any budding artist  will have to be a Street Artist, a stealer of public open spaces,  before obtaining recognition. Of course, if you have money that world is welcome to you and without talent you will be with no difficulty recognize as an artist. But once ruined or without financial support the street will become also your location.

I know I am a permanent pessimist…Wait and see…3 to 5 years and we will discuss this subject again.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire